Macaroni and Cheese, considered the ultimate comfort food and loved by all young and old.
Homemade Mac and Cheese a la Happy Haute Home
The mac and cheese I had growing up was very different from the one I am sharing today. Dad, being a french chef made his Mac and Cheese with creme fraiche, gruyere cheese and topped with fresh breadcrumbs. While I loved this rich and delicious dish, I also craved a more traditional version that my friends had at their homes. As a child, I came to love Kraft boxed mac and cheese! And not with the powdered cheese, I mean the real one…with cheese in a can! 😉
I loved it so much, that during high school, I came home every day and ate an entire box while watching my favorite soap opera on TV! Ah…those were the days…
Wanting something in between a very creamy french version and the boxed version, I came up with this delicious mac and cheese recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does! You can Pin the recipe down below, let me know what you think!
- 1 Box of Pasta (16 oz)
- 1 stick of salted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups shredded cheese from a block (not a bag) such as cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, gruyere or any other favorites
- Add 1 tsp salt to large pot and cook pasta until al dente.
- While the noodles are cooking, make the roux (sauce).
- Melt butter in deep sauce pan over medium heat then add 1/4 cup flour and mix with a wire whisk. If the roux is too thin, add another 1/4 cup of flour. The mixture should be the consistency of a thick paste.
- Slowly add the milk, stirring with wire whisk the whole time so you don’t get lumps. Once smooth, add salt and pepper to taste. I use skim milk to cut down on fat and the dish is still delicious.
- When the sauce thickens, shred the cheese and add 1 cup to your roux and stir until melted.Tip:If your sauce gets too thick, you can add more milk to thin it down.
- Once the noodles are cooked, drain and pour the roux over the noodles and stir well.
- If you like, add additions like bacon or lobster for a real treat!
- Poor 1/2 mixture into a 9×13 baking dish and top with 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Add the other 1/2 of the mixture on top of the cheese and top with last cup of shredded cheese.
- Top with 1/4 cup parmesan cheese. Tip: You can also add crushed butter crackers or even potato chips.
- Cover and bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25 min.
- Turn your oven on broil and bake another 5 min to get that delicious crunch to your cheese.
- Serve hot, gooey and delicious!
Subscribe to Happy Haute Home
For more amazing recipe posts, home decor and outdoor ideas, please subscribe to Happy Haute Home and follow along on Pinterest HERE, and Twitter HERE and feel free to pin and tweet your favorite pics from Happy Haute Home.
You can also get daily home decor inspiration by following along on Instagram HERE