With the rising prices of food, I am always on the look out for bargains in the grocery store. I find myself only buying meats on sale and select what is fresh for the week.
Lately, I’ve noticed chicken breast in bulk has been a great price, so our family has been eating a lot of chicken! You are familiar with my easy Chicken Noodle Soup, Chicken Parmesan, and Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya Recipes to name a few, and I’m adding Tortilla soup to the mix.
We eat mainly lean meats and fish so I am selective about what I buy. If cod or trout is on sale that week, in the shopping cart it goes. Chicken breast in bulk, another great money saving item and very lean cuts of beef are my go-to’s.
Aren’t slow cookers the best. I have owned mine for umpteen years now and it’s still going. I feel it’s due to die soon so I have my eye on a new one, but waiting for it to go on sale, so far no luck! Do you have a slow cooker you love?
When I made this soup for my family, they loved it. Our son isn’t a big “soup” kid, but after three bowls, I figured maybe he’s converted 😉
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 15oz can black beans seasoned, drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 15oz can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 small flour tortillas, cut into strips and fried
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded Monterey jack cheese
- In a large slow cooker, combine chicken, black beans, corn, pepper, onion, tomatoes, spices and chicken broth.
- Cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked through and falling apart, 5 to 6 hours.
- Shred chicken with a fork and cook and additional 10 minutes.
Homemade tortilla chips or strips are the bomb. To make these easy crisps, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Cut small taco size tortillas into strips or quarters and cook until crispy and golden, only a couple minutes and make sure to cook both sides. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and season with sea salt. Serve soup with avocados, crisps, sour cream, cheese, cilantro and lime.
If you like tortilla soup, I think you will love this recipe!
Subscribe to Happy Haute Home
For more amazing posts about home decor and party planning, please subscribe to Happy Haute Home and follow along on Pinterest, Youtube and Twitter. Feel free to pin and tweet your favorite pics from Happy Haute Home.
You can also get daily home decor inspiration by following along on Instagram HERE